Happy Holidays! The California Council on Gerontology & Geriatrics wishes you a bright and happy holiday season.
Save the Date! Our 2018 Annual Meeting will take place on Friday, April 20th at the University of La Verne in La Verne, California. We look forward to seeing you there.
Happy New Year from CCGG! We are very excited about our upcoming events this year, especially our 2017 Annual Meeting. The meeting is scheduled for April 28th at CSU Long Beach, and this year’s theme is “Rethinking Aging: A New Age, A New Opportunity.” Please be sure to join us as we explore the new landscape of aging and the opportunities that it presents to each of us!
“Fostering Active & Purposeful Aging: A California Journey”
Visit our 2016 CCGG Annual Meeting site to learn more about our upcoming conference on October 28th in Sacramento, California. Please submit an abstract and register today!
We look forward to seeing you in Sacramento!
Professor Emeritus James E. “Jim” Birren, the founding dean of the USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology and an aging research pioneer considered by many to be the father of modern gerontology, passed away on January 15, 2016 at the age of 97. As the co-founder of the California Council on Gerontology and Geriatrics, we are saddened by this news and appreciate his passion and support of the organization over the years.
For a more complete remembrance please read the USC Davis School of Gerontology’s article.
CCGG Workforce Preparedness Policy Forum
OCTOBER 30, 2015 | 9:00am – 12:00pm
The number of Californians aged 65 and older is projected to more than double by 2040. As a result, California’s older adults need for health and social services will increase. CCGG’s policy forum will discuss our state’s long-term care system, recent initiatives from the State Assembly’s Aging and Long-Term Care Committee, and the educational competencies needed to serve the older adult population. Participants will engage in an interactive discussion of action items that will empower them to act on one activity to help prepare our elder care workforce in California.
- Joseph Rodrigues – State Long-Term Care Ombudsman, California Department of Aging
- Assembly Member Cheryl Brown – Chair, California Assembly Committee on Aging and Long-Term Care
- Representative, California Senate Committee on Aging and Long Term Care (invited)
- University of Southern California, Gerontology Building, Room 224
- 3715 McClintock Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90089
Register Today to Attend!
CCGG is pleased to announce the 2015 Awardees!
Laura Trejo, MSG, MPA is the recipient of The Lifetime Achievement Award recognizing her years of outstanding achievements in gerontology and geriatrics.
Barbara White, DrPH, RN, AGNP is the recipient of the Senior Scholar Award recognizing her contributions to research and education that promote the advancement of gerontology and/or geriatrics in California as fields of study in California.
Yongjie Yon, MA is the recipient of the Betty and James E. Birren Emerging Leadership Award recognizing his accomplishments in promoting the advancement of gerontology and/or geriatrics as fields of study in California.
Thomas Safran and Associates is the recipient of the Business Advancement Award recognizing their response to the unique needs of older adults through innovative business practices, including the use of gerontologists in planning and administration.
Trena Duong is the recipient of the David A. Peterson Student Award recognizing her outstanding achievements during her education in gerontology.
ANNUAL MEETING IS AROUND THE CORNER
We are gearing up for the Annual Meeting and look forward to seeing you all in Long Beach on April 10, 2015! Don’t forget to renew your membership and register for the conference as soon as possible!
We look forward to our Keynote Presentation on “Stories from the Field…Lessons Learned”, from Fernando Torres-Gil, MSW, PhD and from our concurrent session presenters listed below.
Health and Wellbeing
- The Therapeutic Use of Music in Older Adults and Dementia – Maria Teresa Kelley, CSU Fullerton; Karen Wong, MSG, CSU Fullerton
- Secrets to Wellness, One Healing Touch at a Time for Aging Veterans – Debra McCoy, CNA, Veterans Affairs-Greater LA Health System
- Therapeutic Storytelling Workshop for Caregivers of Persons with Dementia – Ya-Ling Hsu, CSU Fullerton; Karen Wong, MSG, CSU Fullerton
- Doing the hula: Second generation older Asian American Pacific Islander women and the meaning of culture – Anne Soon Choi, PhD, MSW, MPH, CSU Dominguez Hills
Education and Training Models
- Geriatric Focused Faculty Development Program in a Medical and Academic Setting – Jacey Cooper, Kern Medical Center; Travis Eckard, PT, MPT, DPT, Kern Medical Center
- Mentoring in Distributed Education: Expanding California’s Social Service Workforce – Donna Jensen, PhD, LCSW, MSW, CSU Sacramento
- Team-Based Interprofessional Competency (TIC) Training in Dementia Screening and Management – Zaldy Tan, MD, MPH, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Division of Geriatrics
Linking Education Into Practice
- California Employer Perspectives on Older Working Adults Specific to the Affordable Care Act Health Insurance Mandate – John Fay, MSG, CSULB Alumnus
- Job Preparation and Career Transition with Higher Learning in California – Nathan Levoit, Silverado; Susan Conti, Vintage Senior Living; Matthew Ting, PhD, CSU Dominguez Hills; Jan Trifiro, California Assisted Living Association
Elder Abuse and Exploitation
- Financial Exploitation of Older Adults and Fraud Preventions – Rigoberto Reyes, Los Angeles County Department of Consumer and Business Affairs; Michelle Mercury, MSG, CSU Fullerton
- Elder Abuse and Legislation: Public Awareness – Elena Ionescu, MSG, CSU Long Beach; Wendy Lozano, MSG, CSU Long Beach
Each year CCGG honors faculty members, scholars and businesses/organizations for outstanding excellence and contributions to the field of aging in California. Nominate your colleagues today for one of the 2015 CCGG Awards listed below!
Nomination forms can be found at https://ccgg.org/awards.cfm. Forms are at the bottom of the web page.
The Betty and James E. Birren Emerging Leadership Award
The Betty and James E. Birren Senior Scholar Award
The David A. Peterson Student Achievement Award
The CCGG Lifetime Achievement Award
The CCGG Business Advancement of Gerontology Award
NOMINATION FORMS DUE FEBRUARY 13, 2015