CCGG is pleased to announce the 2015 Awardees!
Laura Trejo, MSG, MPA is the recipient of The Lifetime Achievement Award recognizing her years of outstanding achievements in gerontology and geriatrics.
Barbara White, DrPH, RN, AGNP is the recipient of the Senior Scholar Award recognizing her contributions to research and education that promote the advancement of gerontology and/or geriatrics in California as fields of study in California.
Yongjie Yon, MA is the recipient of the Betty and James E. Birren Emerging Leadership Award recognizing his accomplishments in promoting the advancement of gerontology and/or geriatrics as fields of study in California.
Thomas Safran and Associates is the recipient of the Business Advancement Award recognizing their response to the unique needs of older adults through innovative business practices, including the use of gerontologists in planning and administration.
Trena Duong is the recipient of the David A. Peterson Student Award recognizing her outstanding achievements during her education in gerontology.
ANNUAL MEETING IS AROUND THE CORNER
We are gearing up for the Annual Meeting and look forward to seeing you all in Long Beach on April 10, 2015! Don’t forget to renew your membership and register for the conference as soon as possible!
We look forward to our Keynote Presentation on “Stories from the Field…Lessons Learned”, from Fernando Torres-Gil, MSW, PhD and from our concurrent session presenters listed below.
Health and Wellbeing
- The Therapeutic Use of Music in Older Adults and Dementia – Maria Teresa Kelley, CSU Fullerton; Karen Wong, MSG, CSU Fullerton
- Secrets to Wellness, One Healing Touch at a Time for Aging Veterans – Debra McCoy, CNA, Veterans Affairs-Greater LA Health System
- Therapeutic Storytelling Workshop for Caregivers of Persons with Dementia – Ya-Ling Hsu, CSU Fullerton; Karen Wong, MSG, CSU Fullerton
- Doing the hula: Second generation older Asian American Pacific Islander women and the meaning of culture – Anne Soon Choi, PhD, MSW, MPH, CSU Dominguez Hills
Education and Training Models
- Geriatric Focused Faculty Development Program in a Medical and Academic Setting – Jacey Cooper, Kern Medical Center; Travis Eckard, PT, MPT, DPT, Kern Medical Center
- Mentoring in Distributed Education: Expanding California’s Social Service Workforce – Donna Jensen, PhD, LCSW, MSW, CSU Sacramento
- Team-Based Interprofessional Competency (TIC) Training in Dementia Screening and Management – Zaldy Tan, MD, MPH, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Division of Geriatrics
Linking Education Into Practice
- California Employer Perspectives on Older Working Adults Specific to the Affordable Care Act Health Insurance Mandate – John Fay, MSG, CSULB Alumnus
- Job Preparation and Career Transition with Higher Learning in California – Nathan Levoit, Silverado; Susan Conti, Vintage Senior Living; Matthew Ting, PhD, CSU Dominguez Hills; Jan Trifiro, California Assisted Living Association
Elder Abuse and Exploitation
- Financial Exploitation of Older Adults and Fraud Preventions – Rigoberto Reyes, Los Angeles County Department of Consumer and Business Affairs; Michelle Mercury, MSG, CSU Fullerton
- Elder Abuse and Legislation: Public Awareness – Elena Ionescu, MSG, CSU Long Beach; Wendy Lozano, MSG, CSU Long Beach