The California Council on Gerontology and Geriatrics (CCGG) is a statewide nonprofit leadership organization which seeks to promote the quality of life of California’s diverse aging population by informing and integrating educational programs, work force development, and public policy initiatives.
CCGG was founded in early 1980 when Jim Birren, the first CCGG Executive Director and Dean of the University of Southern California’s Leonard Davis School of Gerontology, and his co-visionary, Bonnie Russell of CSU San Jose and head of the California Department of Aging, were successful in securing a two-year planning grant from the Luke B. Hancock Foundation.
Since that time, CCGG has been the only statewide association which links academic institutions — including students, educators, researchers, and administrators — to older adults and their families and to legislators, service providers, business people, and other stakeholders. CCGG represents California’s many exceptional institutions, including those from the California State University and University of California systems, private institutions, and community colleges. We likewise represent members from the diverse disciplines which constitute the field of aging, including gerontology, geriatrics and the health professions, social work, psychology and human development, business, public policy, and many others.
If interested, please learn more about our organizational history.
- To provide statewide leadership and expertise in gerontology and geriatrics education, workforce development, and policy in California.
- To strengthen and improve the quality of gerontology and geriatrics education in California.
- To increase access to gerontology and geriatrics education programs in the state of California.
- To promote opportunities for networking and collaboration among students, faculty, service providers, businesses, and legislators within the gerontology field and related fields in California.
- To provide a forum for the development of academic faculty in gerontology and geriatrics in California.
CONNECT WITH CCGG TODAY
California Council on Gerontology & Geriatrics
c/o President Kelly Niles-Yokum
University of La Verne
1950 Third St.
La Verne, CA 91750